Sell Your Wedding Ring After Divorce
After a divorce, wedding and engagement rings can often turn into painful reminders of a relationship that came to an end. Selling your unworn wedding ring after divorce is a simple way to rid yourself of that reminder and reclaim your story. On top of that, doing so can be an unexpected financial windfall that could help you towards projects, vacations, or even a new piece of jewelry with which to make happy memories.
There is a lot of uncertainty and skepticism when it comes to selling jewelry and sellers often have many questions. The biggest ones are how much their wedding ring is worth and where the best place is to sell it. These questions can be overwhelming when you have no guidance. But at Worthy, we know the key to a good deal is by knowing what you have and working with the experts which is what we’re here for when it comes to selling a wedding ring.
Before we do so, let’s take a deeper look at the reasons why selling your wedding ring after a divorce can be a great idea. While some people aren’t ready to let go of a sentimental piece of jewelry - even one with strong painful memories attached - once a person is ready, selling it can be the best way to move forward into a beautiful new future.
WHY SELL YOUR WEDDING RING AFTER DIVORCE?
While old wedding rings can have much sentimental value, the memories associated with them can be painful. Often, one of the best ways to move on from the grief of an ended relationship after divorce is by parting with a wedding ring that symbolizes the past marriage and serves as a constant reminder.
Worthy interviewed some of our past clients and asked them why they decided to sell their wedding rings after their marriages had come to an end. Some of the reasons they gave us included:
- Releasing a symbol of the past also releases emotional barriers; the final sale is one more way to say “goodbye” to a relationship that ended in divorce.
- Making money from a financial asset. The proceeds from the sale of a ring can be directed towards a rainy day fund, college savings, your retirement account, or many other things.
- Funding your fresh start, which can be anything from a great vacation, starting a business, or paying for higher education.
- Making emotional room for a new relationship.
There doesn’t only have to be one reason why someone sells their wedding ring after a divorce. It’s a very personal decision and one small step that can help unlock a lot of potential for future happiness.
WHERE TO SELL YOUR WEDDING RING
There are many viable avenues to sell your wedding ring, but they aren’t all created equal. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of some different options:
Local jewelry stores - Since jewelers cover the cost of doing business by selling jewelry, most are reluctant to buy it back for fair market value. If you decide to attempt a local sale, you will need to get estimates from multiple shops to ensure that you receive the best offer for your ring.
Consignment shops - Consignment shops can take a long time to move product. It could be weeks or even months before you receive any money. Additionally, consignment fees can be as high as 50 percent. However, like jewelry stores, consignment shops are usually safe and trustworthy places to do business locally.
Pawn shops - Pawn shops are well-regulated and most are safe to work with. They also offer you cash immediately, which can be a lifesaver in a time of a financial emergency. At the same time, pawn shops rarely offer competitive pricing. If you must pawn your wedding ring, check at least a few different shops to ensure that you receive the best possible offer under the circumstances.
eBay- Unfortunately, eBay has been targeted by scammers and trust is low for all but the most experienced sellers with the highest ratings. Unless you have a well-established reputation on eBay, it’s not likely that you’ll receive good offers on your ring. If you do have an active, well-rated seller’s account on eBay, you may receive some good bids for your ring. But keep in mind that eBay is jam-packed with bargain jewelry, and only about 5 percent of diamond sales are successful.
Worthy - From the beginning to the end of every transaction, Worthy shines due to its excellence when it comes to:
- Safety and security
- Customer Satisfaction
Worthy starts its process by offering full insurance coverage when you sell your wedding ring (which remains active every step of the way).
We clean, photograph, and appropriately market your ring to our audience of interested, pre-vetted buyers. Trust and ring value is enhanced via our grading process, which we accomplish with the help of top gemological laboratories such as GIA.
As multiple buyers compete to buy your wedding ring, its price can increases. Once sold, your ring is shipped to the buyer and you receive your money right away using the method of payment you prefer. The entire process is fast, simple, and designed to be as stress-free as possible.
Recently Sold Wedding Rings:
BENEFITS OF SELLING YOUR WEDDING RING WITH WORTHY
Divorce is stressful. Selling your wedding ring after a divorce doesn’t have to be. Worthy eases the stress and eliminates the confusion from the process.
Benefits of selling your jewelry with Worthy include:
- Best offers. Selling your ring with Worthy gives you access to our national network of pre-vetted diamond buyers. The auction platform encourages competition, helping you get the most money for your wedding ring.
- Complete safety and security for your jewelry. When you decide to move forward with selling your ring with Worthy, you’ll receive a printable shipping label via email. Your ring will be fully insured by a broker from the highly trusted Lloyd’s of London from the moment the shipper receives it to the end of the auction. You never have to worry about the financial risk of losing your jewelry or having it stolen.
- Complimentary diamond grading. Worthy partners with the world’s best gemological labs to have your diamonds professionally graded. The grading process helps you understand what your diamond is worth on the open market prior to sale and helps you get more money by enhancing both transparency and buyer trust.
- A simple process. Instead of running around town, taking your ring to local pawn shops and jewelers who might or might not be interested, save time and stress by having Worthy do most of the work for you. We take care of everything from grading, cleaning, professional photography, and marketing efforts on your behalf. And we find all the interested buyers for you.
- Work with a dedicated account manager working toward your success. Selling your wedding ring with Worthy means working with an account manager who walks you through each step of the process and keeps you updated. You will always know where your ring is and what is happening with it. Plus, they are dedicated to getting you the most money for your ring in a successful auction as fast as possible.
We are proud to offer such an exceptional level of personalized service, and our expertise is just one of many features that makes Worthy different from the rest.
LATEST SUCCESS STORIES
HOW TO SELL YOUR WEDDING RING WITH WORTHY:
Worthy offers a simple and efficient way of selling your ring that allows you to get the most for your item without having to leave the comfort of your home. Our online auction platform makes your ring available to hundreds of professional buyers looking to buy rings just like yours and able to make worthy offers.
Here’s how it works:
- Submit Your Item. Tell us a bit about your wedding ring such as the setting, shape and carat size, and we'll tell you if it qualifies for auction.
- Secure FedEx Pickup. We’ll provide you with full insurance coverage and a prepaid shipping label addressed to our headquarters.
- Grading and Auction Preparation. Once your item arrives at our offices in New York, your jewelry is cleaned, professionally photographed, and sent for a complimentary diamond grading at a top gemological lab.
- Auction. Professional jewelry buyers are invited to bid on your jewelry based on the flawless photographs and detailed report. You are able to watch the auction live as the bids roll in.
- Get Paid. If the highest offer meets or exceeds your minimum reserve price, you get paid almost immediately. If not, you have the option to have your jewelry returned to you free of charge.